About the program
Point of Pride’s Annual Transgender Surgery Fund is a scholarship-like program that provides direct financial assistance to trans folks who cannot afford their gender-affirming surgery.
Surgery is a life-changing experience for many trans folks, not only positively affecting our self-confidence and body image, but also our ability to live freely and authentically when out in public, at the workplace, and at school. The Surgery Fund aims to connect as many recipients as possible with the care they urgently need to live authentic lives.
We have very few requirements for applicants in an effort to be as inclusive as possible.
- You must identify as transgender (FTM, MTF, non-binary, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, and all other non-cis identities)
- You are 18 years of age or older at the time of your surgery, or have consent from your legal guardian and health care provider.
- You have financial need that prevents you from affording gender-affirming surgery.
- You can demonstrate past attempts at affording care (i.e. saving money, fundraising, attempting to get insurance coverage)
- You agree to complete your surgery within 18 months of receiving a grant.
- You complete your surgery in the United States with a US-based surgeon.
This program is intended to help trans femme folks who otherwise can not afford these services. Please only apply if you are truly in need of support.
Our annual application period begins at midnight EST on November 1 and runs until 11:59pm EST on November 30. At that time, you may submit your application below. All applications must be submitted online via the form on this page.
- Carefully read this page, especially our Frequently Asked Questions section.
- Submit your application via the form below.
- Hang tight. Once the application period ends, our Board of Directors evaluates every application received and selects recipients. Determinations are primarily based on the applicant’s financial need and (in)ability to access care. We have limited resources, so this process can be extremely competitive. Grant amounts may vary due to a number of factors.
- If you are selected as a finalist, you will be contacted in mid-January via email by [email protected] or phone to submit the second part of the application, which may include additional writing samples, attaching a letter of recommendation, and/or a brief phone or online interview. Finalists will have a few weeks to submit these additional materials. (Note: You should not ask for a letter of recommendation at the time you apply, but it’s a good rule of thumb to think about who you could ask ahead of time. Letters can be from a medical professional, family, friend, employer, community contact or someone else.)
- If you are selected as a recipient, we will contact you again via email or phone regarding next steps.
- If you are not selected as a recipient, we will notify you via email, and you are welcome to apply again for our next application cycle. (Note: Our team stores your application materials for a full year, and we continue to pair candidates with financial assistance as we receive grants, resources, and new opportunities. You may be contacted later in the year via email.)
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I still apply if I have health insurance?
Yes, you may still apply for assistance. For our 2019 Fund, 70% of applicants had health insurance but were unsure if their care would be covered. Many had already had their procedure specifically denied or excluded from their plan, and/or were simply unable to meet their deductible and afford the care they need.
Is there an age requirement?
Like most US-based surgeons, we require you to be 18 at the time of your surgery in order to apply, unless you have written consent from both your care provider and guardian.
Is ______ an eligible procedure?
Yes. We accept applications for any gender-affirming procedure. If this surgery is necessary to your transition, you are welcome to apply.
Do I need to submit a letter of recommendation?
Only if you are selected as a finalist. At that time, we will ask you to complete a supplemental application and to submit a letter of recommendation from a medical professional, family, friend, employer, community contact or someone else. This letter is optional but strongly recommended.
Can I mail you my application?
No, we do not accept any application materials or letters of recommendation sent through the mail. All documents must be uploaded via our online application.
Can I apply this year if I have applied in the past?
Yes, you are welcome to apply for the Surgery Fund once every year.
Can I apply if I live in a different country?
Yes, you are welcome to apply for the Surgery Fund if you live outside the U.S. However, due to our non-profit status, all surgeries must be performed in the U.S. That means in order to apply, you have to be willing to travel to the United States to see a surgeon here.
When are recipients selected?
Typically, recipients will be selected and announced in late February or early March.
We are a volunteer-operated non-profit, so sometimes it can take longer than that to process all of the applications and notify our recipients (especially if we receive a high volume of applications.) We appreciate your patience!
I'd like to nominate someone to receive financial aid.
It’s wonderful that you’d like to support trans loved ones in your life by making this nomination. We understand how important access to care is and how much this would mean for them.
However, our program does not take nominations into consideration when awarding funding. To be considered, your friend will need to personally submit an application during our next cycle. This application process is designed to help protect your friend’s privacy, safety, and comfort and keep our processes as fair as possible for all applicants. Thank you for your understanding!
I missed the deadline. Is it too late to apply?
Unfortunately, our application window is only open from November 1 through November 30, and our Board has a very firm deadline on that window simply because we receive so many requests for support.
This is an annual program so we will be accepting applications again next year. You are welcome to apply at that time.
Meet our Past Recipients
To date, we have awarded over $116,100 in financial assistance.