A reminder that recipients are seen, supported, and valid is a powerful message for trans folks.
Would you or your community group like to support trans folks? You can create affirming handwritten notes for trans youth and adults, which Point of Pride includes along with donations of free chest binders and free trans femme shapewear.
What to Write
- Consider sharing positive experiences around your own experience, especially if you are in a space that you never could have imagined when you were younger.
- Let recipients know that they are valid and valued.
- Speak from the heart and share what you would tell a friend or what you would want to hear yourself when you were going through a difficult time.
- Each card can be unique or you can write the same card several times.
“You are already enough!”
“Be strong, be beautiful, be proud, be you!”
“I want you to know I see you and I support you.”
“You are so loved. Don’t ever forget that!”
- The message must use encouraging and positive positioning. (Think “You’re awesome!” and not “You’re not a bad person.”)
- Keep your message vague enough that the card won’t out anyone to unsupportive family/roommates.
- Be careful not to infantilize the message or card.
- Your message can be a quote, an original thought, or a combination of the two. Be creative if you feel so moved!
- No identifying information (First name/home state is okay, if you choose to sign the card and add a bit of personalization).
Choosing Your Cards
Be as creative as possible! You can write your messages on whatever paper you’d like (construction paper, note cards, folded greeting cards, etc.). Feel free to use markers, stickers, etc. but please do not include glitter or cards with lots of 3D embellishments, which can cause issues when mailing them.
Or, if you’d like, you can download one of the templates below and print them at home or at an office and printing service store (i.e., Staples, Kinkos). High-res PDFs below!
Mailing Your Notes!
Once you're ready to mail your notes, please email us at [email protected] so we can direct which PO Box to send them to.
Note: Many letter-writers also want to cover the cost to process and ship the binders and femme shapewear these cards accompany. If you/your group would like to donate, we recommend $3 per card. This is the average cost of postage within the United States, and you may enclose a check payable to Point of Pride or make a separate donation online. (We are a tax-deductible 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.)
For questions, please contact us. Thank you again for your support!