About the program
Through Plume, the HRT Access Fund provides 12 months of free medical care for trans folks seeking gender-affirming hormone replacement therapy (HRT).
We accept applications from trans people who are in need of access to gender-affirming care that they cannot otherwise afford or safely obtain. The deadline to apply is September 30, 2020 at 11:59pm EST.
Recipients will receive 12 months of:
- medical care through initial and regular telemedical visits
- 3x year lab work and monitoring through Quest Diagnostics
- 24/7 text access to our predominantly trans care team
- any medical letters you may need related to your transition
- prescription cost coverage
(To our knowledge, this scholarship-like program is the first and only of its kind. If you’d like to support this work, you may donate to our launch fundraiser or host your own fundraiser. 100% of the money raised will benefit HRT Access Fund recipients.)
At this time, the fund is available to individuals 18+ and within the current service area of Plume: California, Colorado, Florida, Maine, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Virginia (Or, for Estogen+ only, Arkansas and Minnesota).
Due to state regulations, we unfortunately cannot accept applicants who live in CO or KY and are currently on Medicare or Medicaid.
Plume is available to over 60% of the US trans population* and is working to rapidly expand their services in accordance with state regulations. Individuals seeking care are encouraged to follow Plume (Facebook / Instagram) and Point of Pride (Facebook / Instagram) to see when their state is added to those served by Plume if coverage is not currently available. During the open application period, Point of Pride will be updating the form when states are added, at which point residents of any added states are encouraged to apply.
We recognize that all trans and gender expansive folks deserve access to knowledgeable and affirming care, and will continue to work towards more comprehensive coverage.
*Based on the Williams Institute survey that estimates the trans population in every state and nationally.
We have very few requirements for applicants in an effort to be as inclusive as possible.
- You must identify as transgender (FTM, MTF, non-binary, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, intersex, and all other non-cis identities)
- You have financial need that prevents you from affording hormone replacement therapy
- You are 18 years old or older at the time you apply
- You live in one of the following states: California, Colorado, Florida, Maine, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Virginia (Or, for Estogen+ only, you live in Arkansas and Minnesota)
- If you live in CO or KY, you are not currently on Medicare or Medicaid
This program is intended to help trans folks who otherwise can not afford these services. Please only apply if you are truly in need of support.
Our inaugural application period is open from August 3 through September 30, 2020. All applications must be submitted online via the form on this page.
- Carefully read this page before completing the application form.
- Once the application period ends, our HRT Access Fund Committee evaluates every application received and selects recipients. Determinations are primarily based on the applicant’s financial need and (in)ability to access care. We have limited resources, and this process can be extremely competitive: Point of Pride anticipates to fund just ~2-3% of applicants.
- If you are selected as a recipient, you will be contacted via email by [email protected] regarding next steps. Through working with Plume, your individualized needs will be addressed by a gender-affirming provider. Part of your grant award will be paid directly to Plume for establishing medical care, initial and regular telemedical visits, 3x year lab work and monitoring through Quest Diagnostics, 24/7 text access to our predominantly trans care team, and any medical letters you may need related to your transition. Point of Pride will work with you directly to identify and cover the costs of your medication.
- If you are not selected as a recipient, you are welcome to apply again during our next application period in 2021 (date TBD). Your application will not roll over.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I still apply if I have health insurance?
Yes, you may still apply for assistance (as long as you are not on Medicare or Medicaid if you live in CO or KY, due to state regulations.)
Is there an age requirement?
Yes, you must be at least 18 years old to apply.
Does this cover puberty blockers?
Unfortunately, no. At this time, puberty blockers are not covered.
Can I apply for funding for HRT or medical services I've already had?
We understand the challenges of debt, loans, etc. that so many in our community deal with in order to afford their health care.
Unfortunately, no. At this time, we cannot apply grants retroactively to reimburse past HRT or medical costs.
I'd like to nominate someone to receive financial aid.
It’s wonderful that you’d like to support trans loved ones in your life by making this nomination. We understand how important access to care is and how much this would mean for them.
However, our program does not take nominations into consideration when awarding funding. To be considered, your friend will need to personally submit an application during our next cycle. This application process is designed to help protect your friend’s privacy, safety, and comfort and keep our processes as fair as possible for all applicants. Thank you for your understanding!
Can I edit my application after I submit it?
Unfortunately, no. All submitted applications are final, and you cannot edit your responses.
If you are selected to move forward as a finalist, you will have the opportunity to change your information and provide us with all necessary updates.
I missed the deadline. Is it too late to apply?
Unfortunately, yes. Our Board has a very firm deadline on our application window simply because we receive so many requests for support.
This is a recurring program so we will be accepting applications again next year, and you are welcome to submit a new application then. Please stay tuned for the dates to be announced!
Why isn’t Plume/this program available across the US yet?
At present, different states have varying legal requirements for Telehealth (including some states explicitly preventing e-prescribing Testosterone). Plume is working to comply with all Telehealth laws, as well as meeting any additional requirements in order to expand to states they do not presently cover.
Additionally, due to legal requirements for providing hormone replacement therapy, Plume must have at least one clinician who is licensed in that state in order for a state to be covered. As part of Plume’s commitment to serving the community with the care, experience, and knowledge that trans and intersex folks everywhere deserve, they are hiring predominantly trans clinicians (and will consider non-trans clinicians with extensive experience working with our community).
Your physical and mental health is too important to entrust to a provider who doesn’t have extensive knowledge and experience.
Plume is working tirelessly with a goal of doubling their coverage within the next 6 months and continuing to expand so that they are able to provide gender-affirming care anywhere they are legally able to do so in the United States.
If you are a clinician specializing in trans care (or if you know someone), please get in touch! You can email [email protected].
I have a question not listed here.
We are always looking for ways to improve our programs in order to better serve the community. If you do not see your question answered here, please let us know at [email protected].
For questions about Plume’s service, please visit https://getplume.co#faq
Before you apply…
As you answer the questions, please try to be as specific, compelling, and descriptive as possible. This is a scholarship-like assistance program, so we want to best understand your story and your financial need.
If English is your second language, please respond in your native language. We will translate your answers. (Si el inglés es su segundo idioma, responda en su idioma nativo. Nosotros traduciremos sus respuestas.)
Click the button above to launch our application form in a new window