Trans-Affirming Resources for Our Community
The outbreak of COVID-19 is already affecting LGBTQ folks in many different ways and will likely continue to do so in the coming weeks and months.
It is amazing to see trans and LGBTQ folks come together across the world during this stressful and unprecedented time through online support, hardship fundraising, virtual performances, and socializing. Now more than ever, our resiliency as a community is inspiring.
We have compiled the below resources to connect folks with support during this stressful and uncertain time. Please contact us if you know of resources we should add here!
Crisis and Emotional Support (US-based)
- Trans Lifeline: US: (877) 565-8860 Canada: (877) 330-6366 or www.translifeline.org
- Trevor Project: 866-488-7386 or www.thetrevorproject.org
- GLBT National Help Center General talkline: 888-843-4564
- GLBT National Help Center Youth talkline: 800-246-PRIDE (7743)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 900-273-8255 or www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
- Self Injury Foundation’s 24-hour talkline: 800-334-HELP
- Sexual Assault Hotline: 800-656-4673 or www.rainn.org
- Domestic Violence Hotline: 900-799-7233 or www.thehotline.org
- Addiction Hotline: 877-226-3111
- Eating Disorder Hotline: 844-228-2962
- Veterans Crisis Line: 800-273-8255, press 1 or www.veteranscrisisline.net
- CDC: Coping with a Disaster or Traumatic Event
Online Community Building/Support
- Point of Pride’s Instagram: Over the next two weeks, we’ll be commemorating Trans Day of Visibility (TDOV) and celebrating our community with Live streams, interactive stories, and more. Please follow @pointofprideorg to stay connected!
- Gender Spectrum’s Pre-Teen Discussion Group: Sign up via https://www.tfaforms.com/4742727
- Gender Spectrum’s Teen Discussion Group: Sign up via https://www.tfaforms.com/4749394
- Gender Spectrum’s Online Lounge: Visit www.genderspectrum.org/lounge
- Centerlink’s LGBT Center Directory: Search using this tool to find LGBTQ centers in your area. *Note: Some local centers have moved in-person programs to a virtual format. Contact your center to learn about support groups, resources, or programs currently available to you.
Social Distancing Resources and Activities
- 9 Strategies for Quarantining in a Non-LGBTQ+ Affirming Environment: With help from queer therapists and experts from The Trevor Project, here’s how to endure isolation with those who might not accept your identity.
- 15 Stress-Busting LGBTQ+ Films and Shows to Watch During Coronavirus: Whether you need inspiration and hope or just something to binge-watch, this list has you covered.
- Justwork’s Guide to Remote Life Resources: This is a public, collaborative list of helpful links for anyone working (and living) from home and looking for great ideas and accessible resources for staying happy, healthy, and safe. Includes info on virtual fitness, activities for kids, keeping your mind active, and more.
- Coping After a Disaster (PDF) – An activity book for children age 3-10
Mutual Aid / Emergency Funds
- Map of local aid efforts (not LGBTQ+ specific)
- Trans Justice Funding Project: directory of efforts from TFJP grantee groups
- Trans Lifeline microgrant program
- TFA Trans Disaster Relief Fund
- What Trans Looks Like (apparel company) COVID-19 Trans/Queer Relief Form
- COVID-19 Mutual Aid Fund for LGBTQI+ BIPOC Folks: grassroots “jubilee” fundraiser
- Database of Localized Resources During COVID 19 Outbreak: includes a tab for trans/queer specific resources
- DC No Justice No Pride Mutual Aid: microgrants, collecting supplies, and registering volunteer patient advocates in DC
- Lorena Borjas Community Fund (NYC): New York City’s The Sex Work 101 Project Emergency Funds