About the program
The Electrolysis Support Program provides free or greatly discounted permanent hair removal services for trans femme folks who cannot otherwise afford them.
To our knowledge, this scholarship-like program is the first and only of its kind. We accept applications from trans femme people who are in need of permanent hair removal services (electrolysis, laser hair removal, etc.) they cannot otherwise afford or safely obtain.
We have very few requirements for applicants in an effort to be as inclusive as possible.
- You must identify as transgender and on the feminine spectrum (this program supports AMAB trans people including MTF, trans femme, and non-binary identities)
- You are seeking hair removal on your face, neck, or on an area of your body in preparation for bottom surgery
- You have financial need that prevents you from affording hair removal services
- You are 18 years old or older, or have consent from your parents and/or hair removal providers
- You live in the United States
This program is intended to help trans femme folks who otherwise can not afford these services. Please only apply if you are truly in need of support.
- Carefully read this page, especially our Frequently Asked Questions section, before continuing to our application form.
- Complete the application form during one of our Application Periods, listed below.
- Once the application period ends, our Electrolysis Committee evaluates every application received and selects recipients. Determinations are primarily based on the applicant’s financial need and (in)ability to access care. We have limited resources, and this process can be competitive: On average, we receive 100+ applications each period, and fund 3-4 recipients. Grants are $1,000 per recipient.
- If you are selected as a recipient, you will be contacted via email by [email protected] regarding next steps. We will work closely with you to meet your individualized needs in selecting a trans-affirming provider. Once selected, your grant award will be paid directly to your electrolysis or laser hair removal provider.
- If you are not selected as a recipient, you are welcome to apply again during our next Application Period. Your application will not roll over.
Frequently Asked Questions
When are recipients selected?
Typically, it takes about 6-8 weeks from the close of our application period. We are a volunteer-operated non-profit, so sometimes it can take longer than that to process all of the applications and notify our recipients (especially if we receive a high volume of applications.) We appreciate your patience!
I'm a trans masculine person who needs hair removal. Can I apply?
Unfortunately, no. At this time, our program only accepts applications from trans people assigned male at birth, including MTF, trans femme, non-binary, and other non-cis identities.
I’ve already had/am currently having hair removal sessions. Can I still apply?
Yes! Please note this information in your application.
I need hair removal on an area other than my face, neck, or in preparation for surgery. Can I still apply?
At this time, our program only covers support for specific areas. Please only apply if you are seeking hair removal services on the face and neck or areas that need hair removal in preparation for a gender-affirming surgery (often bottom surgery.)
I have questions about electrolysis. Where can I learn more?
For general information about the process of electrolysis and other permanent hair removal options, we recommend this article: FAQs About Permanent Hair Removal.
I am an electrolysis provider. How can I support this program?
We are always looking for trans-affirming providers to join our network by offering free or discounted services to the most vulnerable members of our community. Please email [email protected] to get started.
When will I receive a response about my application?
Our team typically replies to all applicants via email in 2 months from when the application cycle ends. Because we are an entirely volunteer-operated non-profit, please allow extra time in the event of a delay. Thank you for your patience.
Additionally, please check your spam folder and the quota limit on your inbox to make sure it hasn’t been filtered or bounced back. You may need to search for email accounts that end in “@pointofpride.org” or update your settings to allow emails from “@pointofpride.org” accounts. Please note that in most instances of applicants missing status updates, the result is due to spam filters. To help us focus on supporting our community, we strongly encourage checking your account for any missed messages before reaching out. From all of us at Point of Pride, we are deeply appreciative of your patience and understanding.
You may apply during one of the following periods:
- Winter: January 1 – February 28 (11:59pm EST)
- Spring: April 1 – May 31 (11:59pm EST)
- Summer: July 1 – August 31 (11:59pm EST)
Applications are only considered during the time you apply, and are not rolled over to our next period. Therefore, you are welcome to submit an application once every application period.
Before you apply…
As you answer the questions, please try to be as specific, compelling, and descriptive as possible. This is a scholarship-like assistance program, so we want to best understand your story and your financial need.
If English is your second language, please respond in your native language. We will translate your answers. (Si el inglés es su segundo idioma, responda en su idioma nativo. Nosotros traduciremos sus respuestas.)
Click the button above to launch our application form in a new window
Meet our Past Recipients
To date, we have awarded over $25,000 in direct financial assistance and discounted services to trans folks in need.