About the program
Point of Pride has established the COVID-19 Emergency Fund to offset the unexpected costs and hardships that have impacted our trans community in response to the COVID-19 crisis.
We recognize this current situation has created unanticipated and extraordinary circumstances for the most vulnerable members of our community. This fund works to connect small grants to recipients who have lost their income and lack the financial means to cover short-term expenses related to their health and well-being.
Examples of how these grant funds may be used:
- hormone replacement therapy (HRT) or other prescription refills
- therapy or mental health services
- medical supplies
Because of our extremely limited resources, most recipients will receive between $50 and $75.
We have very few requirements for applicants in an effort to be as inclusive as possible.
- You identify as transgender (FTM, MTF, non-binary, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, and all other non-cis identities)
- You live in the United States
- You were laid off, unemployed, furloughed, or lost your primary source of income on or after March 1, 2020. (In your application, please include proof of this via a termination letter, proof of filing for unemployment, an explanation of loss of income, etc.)
- You have financial hardship that makes affording your short-term expenses extremely challenging or impossible. (In your application, please complete the budget section to the best of your ability.)
- If seeking assistance towards hormone replacement therapy (HRT) or another prescription medication, you must already be taking the medicine and have a valid prescription refill
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to be trans to apply?
Yes. As with our other programs, you must identify as transgender (FTM, MTF, non-binary, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, and all other non-cis identities).
How many times can I apply for funding?
Since launching the COVID-19 Relief fund, we have had at least twice as many applicants as we have the resources to support. In the interests of giving community members an opportunity to receive support, we are accepting only one application per person. Duplicate applications will not be reviewed.
Once your application has been reviewed, you’ll receive an email with us that includes instructions and next steps. At that time, you may be invited to reapply after 60 days from the date of your original application.
When will I know if I will receive funding?
Applications are reviewed on a rolling, first-come, first-serve basis. If your application is approved, we will notify you as soon as possible. You will receive an email from our team within 30 days of your application. From all of us at Point of Pride, we are deeply appreciative of your patience.
I need help with groceries, rent, or other necessities.
Point of Pride was founded to try to help members of our community to better access affirming care. In light of COVID-19, we have expanded our programs to include HRT and mental health services as we are able to.
While we recognize the urgency of the situation for those needing to pay rent and buy food, this fund was created specifically to support access to health-related expenses. We have compiled additional resources here.
I need help with legal fees/bail.
Thank you for your commitment to dismantling systems of oppression. We are grateful for your work.
We are not providing financial assistance for legal fees/bail because there are numerous other organizations already doing this work, who are also equipped with the necessary finances, resources, and staff needed. Check out our list of organizations and resources here.
I need more than $75 for my healthcare needs.
We completely understand – we wish we were able to provide more, especially in light of how vulnerable our community is. The difficult reality is that we simply do not have the funds to support all applicants financially, in the way that they deserve. We recognize this microgrant might not fully cover your short-term healthcare expenses.
We recommend you explore other mutual aid programs, and reach out to your local LGBTQ centers and organizations (if possible!), to learn of other financial support programs available to you. We have compiled additional resources here.
I noticed that you are prioritizing funds for Black community members. If I'm not part of that community, will I still be able to receive funding?
In recognition of the long-standing, ongoing systematic discrimination faced by the Black community our Black siblings are more likely to face hardship as a result of COVID-19, we will award at least 75% of funds to Black identified recipients for the month of June. (You can read more about our solidarity with the Black community here).
Yes, we are still awarding microgrants to non-Black applicants, and appreciate folks filling out their application completely and truthfully.
Do I need to have a PayPal, Cash App, or Venmo account in order to apply? Are there any alternatives?
Yes, we ask you have one of these options. At present, we are only supporting these payment platform apps. If you feel as though there is a platform that is urgently needed, please message [email protected].
I have a question not listed here.
We are always looking for ways to improve our programs in order to better serve the community. If you do not see your question answered here, please let us know at [email protected].
Review and Apply
- Funding is not guaranteed.
- If you are awarded funding, you’ll be notified via email from [email protected]. All funding requests will be reviewed and considered on a case-by-case basis beginning April 10. Funds can be awarded via PayPal, Cash App, or Venmo for secure, immediate support.
- If additional information is required, a Point of Pride volunteer staff member will contact you via email or the phone number you provided.
- For your own security and privacy, please do not send us banking information. In attached documents, you may blur or hide this sensitive information. Point of Pride will never ask you for your account number, routing number, social security number, etc. We only need your PayPal, Cash App, or Venmo username.
Point of Pride is here to support you during this challenging time. For questions, please email [email protected]. For additional resources during COVID-19, please visit our Get Support page, especially the "Mutual Aid / Emergency Funds" section.
Click the button above to launch our application form in a new window
To date, we have awarded over $21,550 in financial assistance to 294 recipients.
Last updated: August 10, 2020