We are a team of dedicated individuals, united in our passion for bringing about meaningful, enduring change one individual at a time, and helping the most vulnerable and isolated members of our community feel seen and supported.
Please review the basic board responsibilities and attachments. Feel free to reach out to any current board member any questions you may have about the roles of a board member and time expectations.
Each Board Member of Point of Pride is expected to
- Read, review and understand the contents of the Mission & Bylaws;
- Read and abide by Point of Pride Bylaws and policies, including confidentiality policies;
- Be informed about Point of Pride’s mission, services, policies, and programs;
- Attend at least 9 of the 12 regularly scheduled monthly meetings;
- Attend functions and special events as appropriate to their Board position and to meet marketing and outreach purposes;
- Take initiative and offer to lead on certain tasks or assignments as needed;
- Submit regular updates throughout the week via Basecamp, as well as a monthly activity summary at least three days before each monthly board meeting;
- Read other board members’ reports prior to all board and committee meetings and assist in other ways to make board meetings efficient and productive;
- Assist the board in carrying out its fiduciary responsibilities by assuring the organization is being managed in a fiscally responsible manner;
- Attend trainings and events — or review articles and resources online — on non-profit board member duties and responsibilities, and share the information with the board at large to assure that Point of Pride meets its state and federal obligations to maintain its non-profit status;
- Suggest possible nominees to the board who can make significant contributions to the work of the board and the organization;
- Contribute in some manner, either financially or through time and talent, to Point of Pride’s fundraising and development efforts and sustainability;
- Inform others about, and promote, the organization and its mission, particularly in LGBTQ or intersectional spaces.
Depending on the time of the year, board members can expect to spend an average of 8-20 hours a month preparing for programs and services, attending regularly scheduled meetings (online via Google Hangouts or a phone conference call) or helping further the mission of Point of Pride. Executive Committee members (President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer) may spend more time.
Board meetings typically take place on the 1st Monday of the month from 10pm EST to 11pm EST. (Our board is in every timezone so this is the current schedule to best accommodate our members.)
We use an online tool called Basecamp that allows us to communicate remotely and stay connected with progress, projects, and what other board members and volunteers are working on. Board members are expected to be communicative with updates and check in on progress frequently each week.
There is no deadline to apply.
Applications will be initially reviewed by the Executive Committee, and if we believe you are a strong candidate, we will invite you to attend the next board meeting.
After that board meeting, current board members will review applications and committee recommendations, and then vote on accepting you as a new board member within one week. You will be notified of that decision via email immediately following the vote.